I myself have had more success publishing with American publishers, than with UK ones, so thought I would put a short list of the pros and cons for each.
- Far more short story publishers around than in the UK.
- Generally more open to new writers than in the UK.
- Bigger budgets for royalties/advances.
- Utilise e-books better than UK publishers.
- Tend to ‘like’ UK writers’ styles!
- If successful, more likely sell more in native country.
- Have very high standards, so you will know most publishers only take the very best…if you get accepted, you know you rock!
- Utilise print media very well.
- More opportunity for marketing – book signings, etc.
Three American-based publishers I have used, which might be worth checking out for all you short fiction writers, are listed below. Click on them for links to their sites.